The Horsham Young Person Alcohol Initiative works with young people under the age of 19 in the Horsham District who are at risk of becoming or who are already problematic or high risk users of alcohol.
The project is a partnership between Sussex Central YMCA, Horsham District Council and Horsham Matters. The project aims to educate Young People about alcohol, harm minimisation, ways to reduce alcohol consumption and also raise awareness of the long and short term risks associated with using alcohol.
They work in a variety of ways including:
• One to one sessions: either as a one-off or a regular slot where a worker can refer the young person for treatment, provide time limited brief interventions, sign-posting and some case work.
• Outreach work: offering group or one-to-one work with young people and where appropriate with their families, in community settings including Youth Centres, Children and Family Centres, Schools and home visits.
• Open referral route: referrals are accepted from all professionals, or via self-referral or family member or friend. Click here to download a referral form.
• Community alcohol education: advising and participating in multi-agency targeting of ‘hot spots’ and to develop interventions, projects and schemes.
• Advisory / consultative work: for professionals already engaged with young people who are drinking.
To find out if you are at risk of misusing substances complete a quick self-assessment tool by clicking here.
For further information download our leaflet here or contact us:
Jo Brewster - Young Person's Alcohol Worker
The Y Centre, Albion Way, Horsham, RH12 1AH
Phone: 07557 855780 (Mobile) or 01403 213400 (Y Centre Office)
020 7928 7377
Free and confidential helpline: 0800 917 8282
Free helpline: 0808 800 2222
Free, confidential advice helpline: 0845 4647
Horsham Information Shop
Y Centre, Albion Way
West Sussex Young Person’s Substance Misuse Service (Under 18’s)
Text: 07779 339954
SASS (Over 18’s and family members)
Family and Friends Network
01243 382641 (office hours)
PATCHED (Mon-Fri, 10am-10pm)
0800 085 4450